Sunday, July 30, 2006,
9:51 PM ;
ROTATION POSTING IN HOSPITAL KUALA KUBU BAHRU
Yep, I'm finally back from KKB! :) Boy, not only did I gained some experience there in Hospital Kuala Kubu Bahru(HKKB), I also had so much fun with my friends! I'm going to write every single detail.. so if you don't want to read a long winded journey.. just skip the entire post below.
Day 1(23rd July 2006)
I did my last minute packing in the morning.. and double-checked that I've got everything before I left home. I dread going to KKB initially because I thought the place was going to be quite ulu and sigh.. I thought I'll bore to death there in KKB. Ahh.. tHat's what I thought initially.. wait till you read what we did there. So, yeah.. reached IMU about 2.30 to grab my pillow and kettle from my apartment. Saw Kok Lim and Li Lian when I was about to go up to my apartment.. Apparently, they got rashes from drinking the day before in Seremban..(Read Mark's blog for further understanding ^^) and they were off to get some medicine for their rash.
Right.. moving on.. waited outside IMU for the bus and saw Winnie's car! Time to unload my luggages.. All in, I had one trolley bag, one hand carry bag, my normal lecture bag, and two paper bags that contained the kettle and RISK! I know that's alot of luggages when I compared it to my other batchmates who only had one or two luggages.. ^^" well, kan cheong mar.. don't know what to bring.. so overpacked! Then I took one look at Winnie's car but.. Wah lau.. already it was almost full! hehe.. I just chucked my kettle, RISK and my pillow into her car. The rest was placed in the bus. The bus to KKB finally set off around 3.10pm and we managed to arrive there at around 4.45pm. Had a briefing and got our keys to our house! We already made plans that all 8 of us- Chow, Chia Huan, Winnie, Jackie, Jane June, Paul, Chung Kia and I would take one house.. We thought the person-in-charge would chuck two more guys into the guy's place.. but thankfully there weren't any additional people.. So we got the whole house to ourselves! Woot! :)
Entered the house with some hope that the house was clean but NO, didn't came out that way.. there was some kind of smell like cat pee when we entered.. yeww.. yeah I know! We got right into cleaning the house--sweeping, mopping, and wiping the furnitures. Just when we got everything ready, it started to pour! :( Already we were stoning in the living room.. looking out at the rain.. Decided to stop stoning and gave RISK tutorial to the newbies and they learnt pretty fast.. got pretty exciting! =) played till 8 then decided to go to Restaurant Ninety Eight. The dishes were really good and cheap as well.
After dinner, we got some groceries for the upcoming dinners we planned. Then, went back to take shower and continued Risk.. until Chow "used" Chia Huan to help him win the game! ^^" Right.. then what did we do after that? Start mahjong?? I can't really remember.. All of us went to bed around 2. Chow and Paul slept in one room, Jane June and I in another, Chung Kia by himself and Jackie, Chia Huan and Winnie in the living room.
Couldn't sleep that night. Maybe not used to the bed and sleeping next to Jane June.
Day 2(24th July 2006)
*alarm rings* I was still widely awake at 6.40am.. and I thought Chia Huan or Jane June would use the toilet first as they wanted to take a bath.. look at time 6.50am.. Why nobody wake up and use toilet wannn.... I looked at my phone again.. almost 7 wei.. Just about when I was about to get up to ask Jane June to wake up, Chia Huan walked in and used the toilet. Things got abit havoc because everyone overslept and all were rushing to brush up and get ready for the bus.. and know what? We missed the bus.. not because we woke up late.. but Uncle Samsul told us that the bus was coming at 7.30 but it came at 7.10am!! Sheeeshhh... In the end, Jackie had to fetch us to the hospital.
Ate our breakfast at the canteen then headed for the briefing room at the nurses' hostel. Dr. Lim introduced us to Sister Rita and then started the briefing. Two in a group to one patient- history taking and physical examination. My partner was Sien Loong(Fish). I guess we made a pretty good pair. Was comfortable partnering him ^^ So, we got this chinese 20 year old patient who has Dengue fever. He wasn't that bad looking. Fair looking chap and cooperative. Right. There was some communication problem because the patient asked if we could speak in Mandrin. the question i most dread. I couldn't converse in Mandrin but luckily abit in Cantonese. Fish too was a banana. haha.. so we just told the patient that we'll just use simple english and guide him along the way :) Right. Still things weren't quite right. Chow joined us a little on because his patient didn't want to be interviewed and hurray.. translater! things got smoother.. moved on to physical examination. Tho he wasn't a CVS patient.. decided to do the CVS examination anyway.. just for more practise =) The patient didn't mind. I guess he was bored as well.
After that, we went for lunch at the canteen. Told Winnie about the guy we interviewed. Haha. and she said she actually saw that guy in the ward when we were touring the hospital and thought he was not bad looking as well. Joked about why we didn't ask if he had a girlfriend or ask for his number during the personal details part. Hah.. There was bedside teaching right after lunch. Dr. Sevu was in-charged of my group that day. There wasn't any CVS patients, so he gave us a lecture on CVS. No comments on that. He gave us more pressure to study harder. Oh! Just before we head home, we managed to witness a delivery. OMFG. It was so scaryy.. Hen Kong Bu (yes.. I'm practising some Mandrin). Baby was adorable.. but mother was in such pain.. and it was pretty disgusting.. Yeww..
I forgot what we did before dinner. I remember walking to the other houses to visit Timothy, Jeremy, Gary, Teck Seng, Shao Yang and Tai Jih. Wanted to get back Risk as well. When we got home, dinner was almost ready. Dinner was steamboat today. Woooo~ Always enjoyed steamboat sessions with the gang. After steamboat, had another round of Risk then mahjong session then sleep.
Day 3(25th July 2006)
Woke up abit later todayy.. Had good sleep. Probably the tiredness knocked me off. 4 of us stayed home to make breakfast and the other 4 went to the market to buy stuff for the BBQ. Everything went according to schedule but there was abit of delay for the journey to HKKB. Got scolded from Sister Rita when I entered the briefing room. *sigh* Maybe I'm just yong sui.. I was the only one who kena scolded.. Nevermind that. There was a different arrangement that morning. Had a chance to go to the Outpatient Department(OPD), Labs, A&E Department then later to our wards to do the normal history taking and physical examination. Before going to our "stations", we got lucky and we were allowed to see a dead body! Now.. you must be wondering why was I so excited to see a dead body. It's just like any other human.. lying there not breathing. Aiyerr.. still first time seeing a dead body.. I meant.. 2nd time. It was the body that Chui Han, Mus, Ben, Siaw and others from group B saw the post mortem for. The body was badly burnt. I thought I would have vomitted but I told myself to be brave.. and I walked in with Winnie and Chung Kia. The sight of the dead body didn't scare me. Wow! We only had 5 minutes.. because Sister Rita was rushing us. Went to OPD and saw a few cases. got to see Varicose Veins on an elderly lady's leg. She described it as "ular" to the doctor. Then saw another young guy with tonsilitis(inflammed tonsils). The doctor was so nice to show it to us. Appreciate it.
Proceeded to the women's ward. Fish and I were assigned to this elderly lady. She was sleeping so we didn't want to disturb her. We went to clerk a spare patient- a pregnant lady who was admitted due to bad morning sickness. As we went on with the history taking.. she kept saying that our friends had interview her and gave us answers before we could even ask. I wished we had new patients to interview because I felt as though we're disturbing these patients and they are sick of us. Unfortunately there weren't any new ones.
Bed side teaching was rather interesting. It was Dr. Lim who took our group this time. I think I learnt alot from her on history taking. Dr. Lim loves to grade the students based on their performances. In a way, she makes the confidence level of the students higher. Dr. Lim is just hilarious esp when she mimicked how murmurs sounds like. Lup-Dup-whooooshh.. ^^" Physical examination as alright. Saw pitting oedema. Heard no murmurs.
Went home that day.. feeling so tired. I did not want to take a nap. Afraid that I will not get good sleep that night. The other 6 of them were sleeping. Chow was taking care of the porridge. So he didn't sleep as well. I guess we were bored and I brought my wood and chopsticks. We went outside and started throwing. Hm, yeah kids playing outside were starring at us but we didn't mind. I think the sound woke Winnie and Chia Huan up. Decided to stop and continued with porridge watching.
Had early dinner that day because it was a simple. We had peanuts, fried onions, pickled vege, salted egg to accompany our pork porridge. Quote Paul while we were washing the dishes - "I don't feel even 1% full.." and Jackie - "Porridge?? Think when I go to peee.. the porridge will just drained out."
Played mahjong after dinner. Most of us were hungry by 9 or 10 o clock. So, we decided to eat our instant noodles. If i'm not mistaken, we had red bean soup that night. It was almost 12 when it was done boiling.. and my eyes were so heavy. Wanted to skip supper and go straight to bed. Being a bit greedy, yes.. i stayed up for a little longer to try the red bean soup :) yummy it was.
Collapsed on my bed and ZzzZzz.
Day 4(26th July 2006)
Last day of HKKB today. It was like any other mornings we had. This time making sure that we weren't late. Got our patient's name. Again, my patient was sleeping when we reached the ward. We took the spare patient- a middle aged man who was admitted with hypertension. A very cooperative guy. Fish and I could sense some worry in the guy as we did the history taking with him. He was waiting for his blood results and was pretty worried about getting diabetes and heart problems. Sigh.
Moved on to Physical examination. We were quite happy that the patient allowed us to do the examination because most of them wouldn't allow it. So, again we did the CVS examination. We thought the patient had some clubbin on his fingers but couldn't make sure. The patient kept asking us if there were any problems with the examinations. Don't know how to answer but we just said it was normal findings in normal people. Wasn't sure for the clubbing though.. because it only appeared on the index finger. his fingers looked abit swollen and looked abit like drumsticks. Not sure-lah. Don't want to tell the patient the wrong stuff also. After the examination, we told him to eat right and exercise after he gets discharged.. and just chat abit with him.
Left for lunch. For bedside teaching, our group got Dr. Lim. yep, AGAIN!! Sheesh.. once is enough but can't do anything. Just attend only la. It was as though watching a movie over again. It's exactly the same thing.. all the phrases and examples she used with us the previous day. My-my.. It was just a replay.
When we were heading home, we decided to drop by the famous cheap waffle ice-cream shop. Boy, it took ages for the girl to make our waffles. There were 4 waffle-making thingys and yet, she only used one. She blardee showed us her "bu shuang" face.. what's with that? We're afterall customers.. At least show us a smile. Anyhow, the waffles were deliciously yummy =)
Went home feeling hungry again. Ate another cup of instant noodles. As it was raining, we couldn't prepare for our BBQ. I decided to get a nap because I was just too tired. Slept until Patrick and housemates came over to start the BBQ. Slept for almost 2 hours. haha.. So, we had our BBQ. Lots of food.
What did we do after that? I couldn't remember much actually. Just cleaned up the place.. and err.. can't remember? Mahjong again I suppose.
Day 5(27th July 2006)
Had to get up damn early today.. 6.30am! why so early? Because we're going to the Klinik Kesihatan in Serendah. The bus leaves at 7.15am. Reached Serendah about 8am and waited for Dr. Yong to arrive. There was a slight delay in plans because Dr. Yong was caught in the jam.
Decided to go photo-snapping after breakfast. Took pictures at the front of the clinic.. and Winnie fell down when she tried to cross the big drain. It was so scary seeing her slip. think she almost cried out.. Went back to the briefing room because Winnie was in pain. Only about 8.45am, Dr. Yong arrived with another doctor from Seremban Hospital. Assigned to our stations- Maternal Child Health(MCH), Outpatient Department and Session with Lecturer. I'm too lazy to write about the session with the lecturer. Just know that OSCE was scary and that I've to study even harder. There was this patient we had to bring to the ECG room. Saw his ECG reading and.. there was atrial fibrillation. There was no 'P' wave. So then, after sending the patient back to Dr. Yong, we went to the MCH department to observe. There weren't many patients but got to see a few patients. One kid whose feet were inverted. Instead of facing outwards, his feet were facing inwards. I forgot the term used to describe his condition. There was another pregnant lady who came for normal checkup. Heard a fetal heart on Doppler's. It was called Daptone? err.. again.. not sure. Then I got to palpate the fetal's head in the mummy's stomach :) The nurse showed me where it was.
Had lunch and went to briefing room for discussion. Heard so many interesting cases from my other batchmates. These cases were all very new to us. Before we left for KKB, we snapped a group pic with the lecturers. They were so nice :)
So, today was our last night in KKB. Chia Huan, Jackie, Chow, Paul and I decided to explore KKB. So, we walked around then decided to walk to the town. It was pretty fun. The weather was so good :) Took us about 40 minutes to reach the town. Went to a park and I felt like a small kid once again. hehe.. Was caught looking like little kids by LiShun and the other girls while they were on their way to dinner ^^
We met up with Winnie and the rest at Restaurant 98 and had a great dinner. For desert, we had waffle ice-cream again! :) Different girl selling it this time.. and yes, much friendlier. Head home after that and played Mahjong. Had Tong Yuen and Sweet Potato tong sui for supper. hehe.. fought over who should have the last 4 tong yuen-s and we played a game to decide who gets it. Hillarious moment. Played two rounds of Risk after supper and got quite sick of the game. I went to bed after that.. Some of them stayed up to continue Mahjong. was about 3 that time.
Day 6(28th July 2006)
Ming Lin's birthday..
Woke up as usual- 6.30am. Deprived of sleep. Took a couple of pictures before the bus arrived to pick us. The lecturers were not coming this time. So we were all on our own. Took our breakfast and went to briefing room to chill for a while before heading to our stations- Pharmacy, Labs, MCH and Outpatient Department. The pharmacy was rather interesting.. saw most of the drugs we learnt during lectures but already forgotten most of their uses and effects. Dang. Finally went to the OPD. Didn't see many interesting cases. Most of it were upper respi tract infection. Got sick of standing after spending 2 hours in the OPD. So, went back to the briefing room to rest and waited for the bus. Took more pictures and listen to the additional heart sounds on Jackie. It was probably nothing. I think it's due to his shirt moving.. dunno.
So, that's the end of the rotation posting. Took the bus back to KKB and had lunch at a chicken rice stall. Was ok only lah.. then bought some buns to bring back to KL ^^ Went back to do our packing. The rest played mahjong while I tried to finish a book. Got a phone call from MeiFong. another shocking news. Sigh.
Waited for the bus and then headed home. It wasn't a comfortable trip back home.. cos there were 2 people who couldn't stop talking so loudly behind me and I couldn't even take a nap. I was cursing deep inside &%^#@!!!** Beside me sat Jane June and Yi Cheau. Could see that they were also disturbed by those two. Yi Cheau and I rolled our eyes at each other knowing that both of us can't stand them. Afterwhich, we giggled to ourselves. I guess that's why we're housemates :)
Reached IMU around 7.10pm. It felt so good seeing IMU again.. Dad was already waiting there for an hour. Quickly grabbed my luggages and put them in the car. Went looking for Winnie for my other stuff I placed in her car. Bad news. Her car was clamped in Vista B. Probably this is the incident which spoit our fun-filled trip *sigh*
*Will post up pictures as soon as possible and write another post on my thoughts on the trip..
